The Early Years Curriculum for Nursery and Reception follows the principles and objectives set out in Development Matters and Early Years Outcomes. The pdf version of Early Years Outcomes has been attached below. Further information is available at www.foundationyears.org.uk.
How Your Child Will Learn
Your child will develop through four principles:
- The Unique Child- your child will be valued and their self-esteem built and nurtured. They are seen as capable individuals able to learn, adapt and be resilient.
- Positive Relationships- your child will learn through having warm, nurturing relationships with the school professionals
- Enabling Environments- both the indoor and outdoor classrooms will help your child to learn
- Learning & development- the children will follow an early years curriculum which will allow them to develop the characteristics of effective learning. These characteristics include, being able to explore and be engaged in their learning, persevere with challenges, and be creative and think critically.
What They Will Learn:
The Seven Areas: The Prime Areas which lay the foundations for all other learning:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development – Self Control & Awareness, Managing Feelings & Behaviour, Making Relationships
- Communication & Language – Listening & Attention, Understanding, Speaking
- Physical Development – Moving & Handling, Health & Self Care
Then there are the Specific Areas:
- Literacy – Reading & Writing
- Mathematics – Numbers & Shape, Space & Measures
- Understanding the World – People & Communities, The World, Technology
- Expressive Arts & Design – Using Media & Materials, Being Imaginative
Where they will learn:
In the Early Years, children learn through play. The children in the Early Years learn inside and out, using sand, water, the mud kitchen and natural materials. Whilst outside, Reception and Nursery will be able to learn together. Inside the classrooms, children will be able to paint, draw, build and construct, make up stories in the role play area, count and discover shape and use play dough, clay, sand and water.